Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Screams irony....

  1. #21
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Screams irony....

    Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    Actually hadn't crossed my mind. I was just saying it's not effective, because it can't be enforced and doesn't give an alternative.
    ....
    ......
    No it doesn't. On paper or in some perfect world, sure. Abstinence method is the abstinence only method. There's not a difference, we're talking about the same thing anyway. It's does nothing to prevent pregnancy, it's some religious method that does not work and never has.
    I'm not really sure you understood my post. What you're calling abstinence is actually a form of birth control called rhythm method. Those are two different animals.

    Abstinence is simply the act of not having sex, period. Ever. Abstinence is 100% effective when practiced 100% of the time (but what percentage of kids are going to do that these days?).

    Rhythm method works very poorly but it's the only option available in certain religions as you mentioned above (like for devout Catholics). In this time you abstain from sex during certain times of the month based on a woman charting her cycles. But as I said, no woman's cycles are perfect and that's why it fails so often.

    This is just another example. You're a grown adult and you've gotten these two methods confused. Parents, schools, somebody needs to step up and teach the cold hard facts about how pregnancy happens and what does and doesnt work and to what degree it works. If the parents dont know or understand the facts the schools should be able to step in and teach facts. Someone at the office had to have the talk with a sexually active teenager (17 yr old) recently - they apparently thought a woman's cycle worked like a dog's cycle when a dog is in heat and were practicing their own really screwed up version of the rhythm method! And we wonder why the pregnancy rates are so high...
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  2. #22
    Inactive Member Milk3's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2008
    Posts
    2,212
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Screams irony....

    Quote Originally Posted by NotSoSilentBob View Post
    Why use rubbers when balloons are cheaper?
    I ain't gonna lie... I LOL'd a little.
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/redskins3.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/6a00d83451ba6469e200e54f0eaffb8833-.gif[/img]
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/unc1-1.jpg[/img]

  3. #23
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Screams irony....

    I really wasnt' referring to it at all, maybe it sounded like it, I don't know. I'm am just talking about abstinence, plain abstinence. It is 100% effective if used as an act, the problem is that it won't get practiced, therefore making it ineffective - because of sparse participation. Isn't abstinence(abstaining until marriage at least) not a universal method taught by religions? That's what I was referring to when I said it's a religious issue.

  4. #24
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Screams irony....

    Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    I really wasnt' referring to it at all, maybe it sounded like it, I don't know. I'm am just talking about abstinence, plain abstinence. It is 100% effective if used as an act, the problem is that it won't get practiced, therefore making it ineffective - because of sparse participation. Isn't abstinence(abstaining until marriage at least) not a universal method taught by religions? That's what I was referring to when I said it's a religious issue.
    In religion abstinence is generally taught as religious premarital moral rules, not as birth control.

    For birth control (after marriage) certain religions will permit absolutely nothing that will prevent a pregnancy from happening - no hormonal birth control, no barrier methods, not even pulling out. So they promote rhythm method as their version of birth control- simply not having sex at certain times.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  5. #25
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Screams irony....

    Quote Originally Posted by imported_elp6n View Post
    In religion abstinence is generally taught as religious premarital moral rules, not as birth control.

    For birth control (after marriage) certain religions will permit absolutely nothing that will prevent a pregnancy from happening - no hormonal birth control, no barrier methods, not even pulling out. So they promote rhythm method as their version of birth control- simply not having sex at certain times.
    In the beginning? Or now days too? I would agree with that former, but it seems that's exactly how it's taught in today's age.

  6. #26
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Screams irony....

    Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    In the beginning? Or now days too? I would agree with that former, but it seems that's exactly how it's taught in today's age.
    I know that devout Catholics practice this still. Catholicism allows no birth control because it defeats Gods plan for procreation (whether or not the church members are devout enough to follow this though is another story altogether)

    So then you've got another issue altogether - Catholic teens who know absolutely nothing about more effective birth control because their religion forbids it from even being taught.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  7. #27
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Screams irony....

    Quote Originally Posted by imported_elp6n View Post
    I know that devout Catholics practice this still. Catholicism allows no birth control because it defeats Gods plan for procreation (whether or not the church members are devout enough to follow this though is another story altogether)
    In religion abstinence is generally taught as religious premarital moral rules, not as birth control.


    I was referring to that first line though with that question, IMO abstinence is taught as BC.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •